Search & Win

Monday, February 7, 2011

New Plan: Rollover method

I decided to search for debt calculators, and came up with this site:
This is so cool. You put in your debts, min payments, interest rates, and any extra income you have left over at the end of the month, and click submit. It then tells you how much you will pay in interest (SICKNING!) and how many payments you have left to make. Then it shows you how much you will save in interest (SHOCKING), and how many payments you will cut down if you use that extra income and the roll-over method. This was a real eye-opener for me. Its so simple, and yet I didn't think of it. In my case, I would take any extra income I have and put it towards my credit card. I could get it cleared in a few months. Then I take the extra income, plus what I would have paid as a min payment on the credit card, and put it on top of the min payment for, say, my student loan. In doing this, I would save over $30,000 in interest, and pay it off almost 5 years FASTER. Unbelievable. I am a visual person, so seeing the numbers month after month (you can see the monthly or yearly payment schedules) really helped me. I feel kinda stupid that I didn't see this before.... I will be using it as soon as we get back on our feet, which should be later on this week, maybe the end of the month. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment